Thinks about this…what if you had just ten customers per day and each customer tipped five dollars? That’s an extra $1,000 per month! While tips may seem small, they definitely add-up and are worthwhile. With a little daily effort, soon earning tips will become a significant part of your monthly income. While asking for tips is never professional, there are several tricks you can use to encourage your clients to tip a little more generously. Here are a few ways to help you earn a little extra in tips without reminding your customers.
1. SELL MORE
The number one trick to increasing your tip is to increase the overall bill or upsell. While this might seem obvious and easy, it shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Don’t miss opportunities to increase your sales – you have already earned your customers, so why not help them maintain their service at home by purchasing a product or tool?
- Be genuine and helpful. As an expert, your customer trusts you and values your tips and tricks. Never make recommendations just to make a sale, but if you see value in suggesting a product or tool, offer it.
2. BE UNIQUE
- There’s a lot competing for your client’s attention, so cut through the noise and find ways to stand out from the crowd. With unique business management tools you haven’t seen anywhere, Beautster can give you a competitive edge.
- Be inviting, and make your client feel like you are your own business owner, not just a staff member.
- Personalize yourself and your services. If you are required to wear a uniform, make it your own and accessorize to showcase your unique style and personality
- Researchers have found, for example, that customers are much more drawn to a waitress with accessories or a flower in her hair and tend to tip higher
- Always introduce yourself by name, and show off your personality through your outfit- the more you differentiate yourself, the higher your customers will tip.
3. BE FRIENDLY AND ENTERTAINING
- Clients who have a good time during their service are more likely to tip higher
- Provide up-to-date magazines in your lobby- customers appreciate having something current to read while they wait
- Offer free WiFi and play upbeat music
- Play videos of hair trends, fashion shows, makeup tips, etc.
- Show your clients that you value them and make them feel they are taken care of- if you treat your clients like just another customer, they will treat you like just another stylist
- Always use your client’s first name when you greet them and check your notes for conversations you had during their last appointment
- Beautster offers a ‘Client Notes’ feature which allows you to jot down important details about your clients, so you don’t forget
- Clients love when you remember their birthday or ask them about a special event like a wedding
- If you make your clients feel special, they will never forget to tip.
5. OFFER COMPLIMENTARY GIFTS
- Research has shown that tipping behaviors are favorable when clients are offered complimentary gifts like water, coffee or tea
- A case of water or a tin of coffee doesn’t cost you a lot, but can translate into a few extra dollars in tips per customer
- As an added extra, offer sparkling water, a glass of wine, cold beer, mimosas or champagne, but make sure you have the appropriate licensing and insurance coverage.
6. PAY EXTRA ATTENTION TO YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS AND BIGGEST TIPPERS
- Be conscious about where you spend your time and energy- ideal customers tip generously and should be where you focus extra efforts
- Give every client an excellent service, but don’t waste extra time and resources on clients who don’t tip well
- If you build a following of loyal clientele, you will increase your tip income significantly.